They didn't improve, in fact, it seemed like at times it got worse. When Dayson's 18 month appointment came around back in March, I talked with his doctor again about him not being able to walk completely normal due to him being bowlegged. Not only was his walking affected, he was falling over frequently because his ankles were weak as well. It never seemed to bother Dayson, but as his mom, I only wanted to fix it for him. The doctor referred us to an Orthopedic specialist who agreed that Dayson did indeed have some problems with his legs. After taking a good look at him and moving his legs in all different directions, he decided that he wanted to wait six months before doing any treatment such as braces or specialised shoes to see if he would grow out of it by himself. Wasn't really the news I wanted to hear as I wanted to see immediate improvement. We live in such a fast paced world where everything (well, almost everything) can be fixed with a click of the button or you can have something right now. That's what I wanted. I hated seeing my little boy struggle with falling over frequently.
God had other plans though and gave our doctor the wisdom needed in how to approach Dayson's problem. It was a lesson in patience and trust for me. Patience is so hard when all that you want is your child better. I'm thankful though for God's many lessons in our lives, even when He has to teach them to us over and over. He never gives up on us.
Here's a video of Dayson that was taken before his 18 month appointment. At one point, you can see where his leg and ankle just give out on him and he falls over. Like I said, it never seemed to bother him and for the most part, he was a very happy child.
Just recently, we went back to the specialist for the follow up appointment to see if he was improving. As soon as the doctor walked in and without moving or testing his legs, he started saying right away that Dayson looked so much better. The results after the testing? He doesn't need braces or specialised shoes! When he had Dayson stand straight with his feet together, he was only able to place one finger in between his knees (the specialist is a big guy too with large hands). Last time he was able to place three fingers in between. When checking his feet and ankles, he said that there was only a 10% inward turn to them now compared to the 25% that it was last time.
Praise the Lord for this improvement! It's so hard not to worry when it comes to your kids. I'm so thankful that God has not only been healing Dayson's legs but also working in my life to trust Him more everyday with all that I have.
Here's a picture that I took today. Can you see the improvement in how he stands? So much better! And yes I know, he wasn't at all thrilled for me to be taking his picture.
Thank you Lord for Your many wonderful blessings in my life. Thank you for being patient with me as I have learned to trust in You more. And most of all, thank you for the wonderful children that you have given me to raise!

2 comments:
You know, before you even posted this, I'd noticed how much straighter his legs were. Praise God!
It is such a praise! Sometimes it's hard to remember just how bad his legs were bowed until I look back at pictures and this video. Brings tears to my eyes at God's wonderful healing.
Post a Comment