Sunday, January 6, 2013

36 Weeks

I just need to make it to Friday (37 weeks) and then I can have this baby with my midwife. Anything before that or after 42 weeks would require us to go to the hospital. Also, assuming I can't get my iron levels up (I'm really anemic right now), I'll have to deliver in the hospital. I'm not against doing that (we had Iyana there), I've just got my heart set on a home birth. It's so weird to think that this baby could come at any time now. It's been a long wait. At times I wondered if we would ever get to this point, but now that it's here, it's kind of crazy to think that our family is going to be growing to five. I'm excited and a little nervous. It's always so fun to get to know your new little baby. Will he/she be another blondie, another very active child or maybe a quiet thinker, will he/she sleep through the night at an early age? So many different possibilities that I can't wait to find out.

Litl B is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. He/she now weighs almost 6 pounds and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. He/she is shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered the body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected the skin during his/her nine-month amniotic bath. Litl B swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, which will form the contents of the first bowel movement.


Pregnancy Highlights

How Far Along: 36 Weeks 2 Day

Total Weight Gain: 12 pounds! It's not exactly something that most people would be excited about seeing on the scale, but this made me happy. What has made me not so happy is I'm pretty sure since my appointment last Wednesday that I've gone down again. I'll see when I go in this week.

Maternity Clothes: I've got several maternity shirts that are starting to get short . Not to mention, because my belly is so round with this one, my pants don't want to stay where they're supposed to. Frustrating...

Best Moment This Week: Having a great baby appointment visit. Aside from being severely anemic right now, everything with baby is going very well.

Gender and Name: Names are picked out and the clothes are all ready. Now it's just the waiting game to see what gender Litl B is.

Movement: I'm pretty sure this one is going to have quite the startle reflex. Twice now in the past week, BJ has come up to talk to the baby or make a funny noise, and Litl B jerks and startles while inside me. It's quite funny though I don't know how much more I can stretch to accommodate these times.

Food Craving: None...still too much heartburn.

Sleep: What's that? My body is definitely preparing me for the long nights ahead.

Symptoms: Still having braxton hicks. The main concern right now is getting my iron levels up. I'm taking a lot of different things to help that out. It can be emotionally draining trying to make sure I get everything in for the day and when I take things. I can't eat certain foods with it all and I have to take the different things at certain times. Can be very confusing.

What I miss: Being able to eat what I want when I want and not having to worry that it's going to affect anything I'm taking.

What I'm Looking Forward To: Having this little one in my arms.


4 comments:

The Merry Band of Fife said...

I hated late pregnancy insomnia. Shouldn't your body be doing the opposite right now - cramming in all the sleep it possibly can before the little one arrives? At least that's what I would always grumble night upon night LOL. So soon - praying that everything goes well and that, if possible, you get the birth experience you desire. I'm sure you've got lots of help lined up, but if you ever need anything as far as childcare or, well, anything, just let us know.

~Melissa

Amanda said...

Thanks Melissa! We do have help lined up for now, but I'm sure at some point Iyana will get over the newness of everything and want to get out for a bit. Maybe we can get the girls together for a playdate.
And sleep...oy...Last night was worse than the others so far. I remember with Dayson it was like that. Constantly changing positions, getting up to walk around and stretch and so on. Only a few more weeks at most. Excited!

Serena said...

Praying hard that your iron levels are up for your next appointment. I get uncomfortable just looking at your pictures - how do you even breathe these days?! We are more than just a little excited to get our turns to hold this little one too.

Amanda said...

Thanks Serena! Appreciate any and all prayers right now.

And yes, breathing hasn't been fun lately. Soon though, we will all be able to hold this little one and I can finally take a huge, deep breath again. :-)