Monday, May 9, 2011

To my Val-Val...

Dear Val-Val,

By now you have heard the news of your impending Sunday morning banishment from the world we've shared many a good times in. I have pleaded, screamed, and cried rivers of tears on your behalf but alas, the end draws near. I feel it best that we spend some time reflecting on these past 8 months so as to not forget the bond we share.

I remember when we first met. There you were nestled in a lap of luxury as the rocking chair you occupied swayed back and forth. I thought it becomming of you that you were able to suck on one thumb while simultaneously twirling your hair with the other hand. No other child has mastered that ability like you.

Then, there was the time you first held me. "Bah" you told my mommy as you directed her to the rocker. With great finesse you seated yourself and I was placed in your arms. It was so overwhelming that I truly didn't realize I was attempting to yank out your hair. I did that in a state of dreamlike bewilderment. I know you too must have been dazed by our connection, for you constantly showed your affection by bopping me repeatedly in the face. Because, I was young and in love, I didn't know what pain was so those bops did no harm.

But in speaking of pain, my heart is breaking over your moving on. Don't fear my friend. Where you are going is a good place... for my Grammy Sheba is the prison warden there every three months. I'll be sure to slip her a surprise to make sure you are treated with special honors. For now, let us celebrate our friendship. I'll be sure to stop by and see you on your big day in the far ends of the church before I am taken off alone to the nursery. That loneliness will only be eased by knowing I'll see you again in the nursery during evening service. Meanwhile, have a happy birthday with your sisters. You deserve it.

Love,
Day-Day

1 comment:

Serena said...

Hi Day-Day!

It was fun to play with you this evening and to rub your cute, fuzzy little head. The nursery was a wild place tonight, eh?!

I had a good time in my new class this morning. The kids were pretty cool and I got to play with play-dough. That stuff is awesome! I can't wait to have your grandma as my teacher. How did she get the name Grandma Sheba anyway?!

My mommy tells me that you like to play with people's shoes. You should come over to my house sometime - I have a great collection of them! I'll model them all for you. I particularly like my new strappy summer sandals.

Well, it's time for me to get into my big-girl bed....gotta get my beauty rest, you know. I like to visit my mom and dad in the middle of the night now that I can roam around the house all by myself. One day you'll outgrow your crib too and I will teach you all kinds of fun tricks.

Goodnight, good friend.
~ Valerie